Composed 2021 for Marching Band
The House on the Hill was premiered on October 6, 2021 by the Fillmore Central High School Marching Band. It was originally to be performed the year before, but was delayed due to the COVID pandemic. It is unique in that its original design has all percussionists stationary on-field, instead of having marching percussion and sideline percussion.
I was originally inspired to write a haunted house-themed marching band show by a student’s Symphonic Composition Project submission. It didn’t fit the theme that developed with that year’s piece, but it was a captivating pattern that I felt I should hang onto.
The show is in four movements: The House on the Hill, The Portrait of Bennibee Foote, Voices, and A Room With No Doors. The underlying theme in the show is the Dies Irae. The Portrait of Bennibee Foote is based on the Mexican folk song https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona. Solos are written for alto sax, bari sax, and tuba.
This was my most in-depth marching composition, the first time I really composed for music and visuals. The remaining drill design was finished by Dr. Evan Lee. It was a wonderful challenge and an incredible experience to build from the first note to the last step-off.
Check It Out:
Request a score
Check out the song
- ✓ Score emailed directly to you
- ✓ Study the piece to see how well it fits your ensemble
- ✓ You get an email that isn’t spam OR a meeting notice – how exciting!
Purchase this piece
It’s all yours!
- ✓ Score and parts emailed directly to you
- ✓ All parts sent as universally-accessible PDF files
- ✓ Unlimited copy permission granted to purchaser – if your percussionists lose their music, you can print them another one (again)!
Prices in USD