Composed 2009 for Concert Band
Composed 2016 for combined Concert Choir and Concert Band
Nacht was premiered by the Fillmore Central High School Concert Band on December 17, 2009. It was rewritten in 2016 for combined band and choir.
Nacht was my second slow piece for concert band. I learned a lot from my experiences on Variations of Grace and had been working with my own band long enough that I had a pretty good feel for what would and would not work. The hardest part of this piece was keeping the percussionists engaged – instead of writing three cymbal rolls and a wind chime part, I decided to put all of my players on mallets. Some of them were none too thrilled with the idea, but I didn’t ask them, so they couldn’t say no. With Silent Night as its main guide, the piece is a wonderful exercise in breath control. It is to be played as slowly as it can be played well.
Check It Out:
Request a score
Check out the song
- ✓ Score emailed directly to you
- ✓ Study the piece to see how well it fits your ensemble
- ✓ You get an email that isn’t spam OR a meeting notice – how exciting!
Purchase this piece
It’s all yours!
- ✓ Score and parts emailed directly to you
- ✓ All parts sent as universally-accessible PDF files
- ✓ Unlimited copy permission granted to purchaser – if your percussionists lose their music, you can print them another one (again)!
Prices in USD